Thursday, October 6, 2011

Like a Phoenix

One of the most interesting parts of life is that it constantly presents forks in the road. Most of the time, we don't think much of them. Other times, we take them with the utmost seriousness, especially when they seem to determine the rest of our lives. A funny thing about the roads we travel in life is that even though we become comfortable with one path, we can always take the next fork to another. This, I think, is something that is grossly overlooked.

For example, I've spent most of my life wanting to engage in some creative art form, but most of the time when I came to an opportunity to travel down a path that involved one such activity, I wouldn't have the motivation to actually do it. I was too used to the "straight and narrow" - the path that felt most secure to me. What if I encountered obstacles on the artistic road, or worse, came to a dead end? Fear kept me from branching out and instead left me sticking to the books.

Well, the books have given me a lot of knowledge, but I am left lacking skill and true passion. With the recent death of a true visionary icon, I think about the kinds of effects that deviating from the normal and the routine have. Here was a true mover and shaker and all because he wasn't afraid to pursue change. I know that anyone has the potential to do great things and enrich the world, so why can't I?

So here I am, making a vow to let my past life of fear and regrets pass away and let a new life of passion and pursuits be born. If you are finding yourself in an unfulfilling position in life, I encourage you to do the same. This life only comes to you once, so do yourself a favor and let it flourish like a newborn phoenix.

No comments:

Post a Comment